Team Pelfrey Confirms Ayla Agren for USF2000 Seat in 2017
INDIANAPOLIS, IND. – (February 8, 2017) – Team Pelfrey confirms Ayla Agren will fill their second Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda series seat in the Mazda Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires as the season commences in St. Petersburg, Fla. March 11-12.
Agren and Team Pelfrey are known to have great on-track chemistry as Agren won the F1600 Championship in 2014 and is now looking to build upon that relationship as the season nears. The 23-year-old has continued to be competitive as she scored 19 top 10 finishes in her last two years driving in the series.
“Welcoming Ayla back to Team Pelfrey is fantastic news,” commented General Manager, Jonathan Baker. “She won a championship in a yellow Team Pelfrey-powered machine in 2014, and being able to bring her back into our new look USF2000 outfit is an exciting prospect; She’s fast, she’s exactly where she wants to be, and she is hungry to do well. We all know what she is capable of, and in what will no doubt be one of the most competitive seasons in recent USF2000 history, we’re up for the fight.”
The Norwegian will pilot the No. 82 florescent yellow Energima/Team Pelfrey Mazda alongside her teammate Robert Megennis.
“I am very excited to be back with Team Pelfrey, we’ve had some great results together in previous seasons and I am really happy to get the chance to work together again,” stated Agren. “I’m looking forward to being back on the USF2000 grid in the new Tatuus [USF-17] car and on the Mazda Road to Indy ladder for the 2017 season. I cannot wait for the season to start!”
TSO Ladder Notes from Steve:
- Agren is the second Team Pelfrey entry and 11th driver confirmed for the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda season, joining: Moises de la Vara (DEForce Racing), Kory Enders (DEForce Racing), Rinus VK (Carlin/Benik), Devin Wojcik (ArmsUp Motorsports), Chandler Horton (RJB Motorsports), Robert Megennis (Team Pelfrey), Parker Thompson (Exclusive Autosport), Andre Castro (Newman Sachs Racing), and Calvin Ming (Pabst Racing)
- 2017 will mark a return to Team Pelfrey after spending a partial season at John Cummiskey Racing in 2016. Before the 2016 season, Agren had spent the previous three campaigns with Team Pelfrey. Two in the F1600 Formula F Championship Series (where Agren won the title) and one season with the team’s brand new USF2000 program in 2015.
- Despite missing four races, Agren was able to come home 11th of the 28 drivers that took part in USF2000 in 2016. The Norwegian’s best result in 2016 was a fourth place finish at Road America in June.
- TSO expects a flurry of USF2000 driver announcements over the next three weeks before the series takes to the Homestead-Miami Speedway road course for an open test on February 28.
- You can follow Agren on the following social media platforms: Twitter – Instagram – Facebook