Guyana Driver Calvin Ming to Make Mazda Road to Indy Debut With Pabst Racing
Oconomowoc, Wis. – Pabst Racing announced today that 21-year-old Calvin Ming has signed to drive in the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda for 2017. Ming will drive the #22 Pabst Racing entry during the fourteen-round season.
Born in Guyana, South America, Ming began his racing career at the age of six and became a karting champion by 2012. His extensive racing experience includes Skip Barber, Formula 1600 and, most recently, the FIA Formula 4 Series in Mexico. In 2016, he won four F1600 races in the United States, proving he’ll be one to watch in 2017. Currently residing in Miramar, Fla., Ming studies Civil Engineering at Florida International University.
For 2017, Ming will compete in both the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda as well as the FIA Formula 4 Championship where he has already accumulated three wins and currently leads the championship.
With the start of the USF2000 Championship quickly approaching, Ming’s head start is sure to aid in his goals in the States.
“My goals for this season are to learn as much as I can from the Pabst Racing team about the new Tatuus USF-17 chassis, as well as learn all the new tracks,” said Ming. “But also, my goal is to win the championship. At the end of the year, if I can pick up wins and podiums, I will call it a successful year.”
Ming is an advocate for road safety in collaboration with the Alicia Foundation in Guyana and was recently recognized as an ambassador of Guyana for his steady growth in motorsport. Sponsors include Mings Products & Services Limited and APAN.
The season will begin with an official series test on February 28th at Homestead, Fla.
“We are very excited to finally announce the signing of Calvin for the 2017 season. After an impressive test with him in late 2016, we knew he was a great fit for our team. We are looking forward to great results, ” said team owner Augie Pabst.
The Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship by Mazda will begin in St. Petersburg, Fla. March 10th through 12th.
TSO Ladder Notes from Steve:
- Ming is the first Pabst Racing entry and 10th driver confirmed for the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda season, joining: Moises de la Vara (DEForce Racing), Kory Enders (DEForce Racing), Rinus VK (Carlin/Benik), Devin Wojcik (ArmsUp Motorsports), Chandler Horton (RJB Motorsports), Robert Megennis (Team Pelfrey), Parker Thompson (Exclusive Autosport), and Andre Castro (Newman Sachs Racing)
- This will be Ming’s first foray onto the Mazda Road To Indy presented by Cooper Tire ladder, but the 21 year-old has plenty of recent (and successful) successful seat time under his belt. Ming has won four races, and currently leads the 2016-2017 FIA Fórmula 4 Nacam Championship points table though 14 of 24 rounds.
- Ming’s 2016 season included a partial season of FIA Fórmula 4 Nacam Championship and a full season of the F1600 Formula F Championship Series championship. Ming scored three wins, one pole, 11 podiums and three quickest laps on the way to a fourth place finish in the F1600 Formula F Championship Series championship.
- Pabst Racing is one of only three teams (Cape Motorsports with /WTR and ArmsUp Motorsports are the others) to take part in each of the first seven seasons of the re-born Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda championship.
- The Oconomowoc, Wisconsin based team has been close to knocking Cape Motorsports with /WTR off the top step of the USF2000 drivers championship that past two years, and an experienced shoe like Ming should provide the Augie Pabst owned team a good chance to get that done in 2017.
- You can follow Ming on the following social media platforms: Twitter – Instagram – Facebook