The fifteen Indy Pro 2000 drivers followed the first NTT IndyCar Series practice that had three rookie drivers lead the timesheet.
The sun was shining brightly, and the temperature was in the lower 70s when the session began at 11:30 am.
Sting Ray Robb, Parker Thompson, Kory Enders, and Kyle Kirkwood all spent time at the top of the timing screens in the first half of the session.
Just before the halfway point of the session, the majority of the field was on pit road for adjustments and fresh tires.
At the halfway point of the session, a lap of 81.919 seconds by Enders led the way. Thompson and Kirkwood were both within one-hundredth of Enders. Robb, Lindh, de la Vara, Frost, Petrov, Abel, and Lastochkin made up the rest of the top ten.
With ten minutes remaining, the drivers started to get there Cooper Tires up to optimal operating temperature and started to go quicker.
With eight minutes remaining, championship leader, Kirkwood supplanted Enders at the top of the timing screen. The RP Motorsport rookie wasn’t there for long before Parker Thompson went quicker.
The track remained busy, for the final five minutes, but nobody could get close to Thompson at the top of the timesheet.
Indy Pro 2000 Championship Presented by Cooper Tires Practice #1 Results
|RANK||CAR NO.||DRIVER||TEAM||QUICK LAP||DIFFERENCE||TOTAL LAPS|
|1||8||Parker Thompson||Abel Motorsports||1:21.522||–.—-||15|
|2||28||Kyle Kirkwood||RP Motorsport USA||1:21.679||0.1566||17|
|3||7||Kory Enders||DEForce Racing||1:21.919||0.3966||16|
|4||2||Sting Ray Robb||Juncos Racing||1:21.988||0.4658||18|
|5||90||Nikita Lastochkin||Exclusive Autosport||1:21.998||0.4763||16|
|6||6||Moises de la Vara||DEForce Racing||1:22.301||0.7790||16|
|7||10||Rasmus Lindh||Juncos Racing||1:22.363||0.8413||18|
|8||68||Danial Frost||Exclusive Autosport||1:22.399||0.8769||18|
|9||51||Jacob Abel||Abel Motorsports||1:22.542||1.0203||18|
|10||5||Artem Petrov||RP Motorsport USA||1:22.677||1.1545||19|
|11||27||Matt Round-Garrido||Jay Howard Driver Development/BN Racing||1:23.083||1.5612||19|
|12||11||Antonio Serravalle||Pserra Racing/RP Motorsports USA||1:23.175||1.6534||17|
|13||91||Phillippe Denes||FatBoy Racing||1:23.640||2.1181||14|
|14||3||Antoine Comeau||Turn 3 Motorsport||1:23.740||2.2177||17|
|15||83||Charles Finelli||FatBoy Racing||1:27.781||6.2588||19|
The middle rung of the Road To Indy Presented by Cooper Tires is back on track at for qualifying at 5:15 pm.
Race Weekend Basics
Race #1: Cooper Tires Indy Lights Grand Prix Presented by Allied Building Products
Race #2: Cooper Tires Indy Lights Grand Prix Presented by Allied Building Products
Race #1 green flag time: Saturday, September 21 at 3:10pm
Race #2 green flag time: Sunday, September 22 at 9:10am
Race #1 distance: 30 laps or 45 minutes
Race #2 distance: 35 laps or 60 minutes
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca qualifying track record: 74.2329 seconds by Max Chilton (Carlin) in 2015
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca race track records: 76.1633 by by Max Chilton (Carlin) in 2015
- Each entry can utilize four new sets of Cooper Tire slicks as well as one set of used/scuffed tires from the race at Portland International Raceway
- The timing line is located at Turn 10
- Drivers failing to slow at least 15% in a timing sector with a local yellow will be subject to a two-place grid spot penalty
- Drivers who fail to heed the checkered flag at the end of a session will receive a two-grid spot penalty
- Causing one red flag will result in a driver losing their fastest lap
- Causing a second red flag will wipe out all of drivers laps, and they will be parked for the remainder of the session
- Driver points are distributed as follows: 30 – 25 – 22 – 19 – 17 – 15 -14 – 13 – 12 – 11 – 10 – 9 – 8 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1 – an additional one point will be awarded to the pole sitter and to the driver who leads the most laps.
Don’t miss any of the Road To Indy Presented by Cooper Tires action:
- download the Road To Indy TV app from the Apple App Store or on Google Play to get video, audio, timing & scoring, news from TSO Ladder and much more – you can also get Road To Indy TV via Apple TV, Amazon Video, Roku or Microsoft Xbox One
- IndyCar Radio will have all of your Indy Lights action at IndyCar Race Control, indycarradio.com, the tune-in app and website, XM Channel 209, Sirius Channel 216, Web Channel 970, or the Sirius / XM app
- Indy Lights races will be available for view with the purchase in the USA with the purchase of the NBC Gold IndyCar Package
- Outside of the USA, you’ll be able to watch the Indy Lights races on all of the Road To Indy TV app delivery options, Indy Lights YouTube channel, and Road To Indy TV Facebook page
- live timing – Road To Indy TV – Indy Lights – Pro Mazda – USF2000 – IndyCar Race Control
- on twitter – TSO Ladder – Team Cooper Tire – Road To Indy TV – Indy Lights – Indy Pro 2000 – USF2000
- on all social media channels via the #TeamCooperTire and #RoadToIndy hashtags
- please subscribe to the following YouTube channels: Road To Indy TV for a post-race weekend wrap-up show, and USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 for previous races.