Team Pelfrey Welcomes Rookie Carlos Cunha to Pro Mazda in 2017
INDIANAPOLIS, IND. (February 27, 2017) – Team Pelfrey is delighted to announce Carlos Cunha will pilot the No. 81 Team Pelfrey Pro Mazda machine in the 2017 Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires. The rookie will compete alongside teammate TJ Fischer as the season gets underway with a doubleheader in St. Petersburg, Fla. on March 10-12.
Cunha, 17, is thrilled to move his racing career to North America after spending the last eight years competing in numerous race circuits, including Formula 3 Brazil where he collected wins and multiple podiums.
“I am super excited to be with Team Pelfrey,” stated the enthused Cunha. “They have the structure for me to further develop my career at this new stage in the United States. My only experience was in the Brazilian and European motorsport arena, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out how well developed the Mazda Road to Indy system is. I am really looking forward to getting the season started in St Petersburg!”
The Brazilian native is looking to build upon his past experiences, in addition to capitalizing upon the team’s momentum as they clinched the 2016 Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires with Aaron Telitz.
“Carlos is an extremely impressive young man,” commented general manager, Jonathan Baker. “He tested for us in Florida and not only was his speed apparent, but his overall approach, understanding of the car and how the team works was very encouraging to see. He has all of the ingredients to be successful on the Mazda Road to Indy, and we are very happy to welcome him into the #PelfreyPower family.”
TSO Ladder Notes from Steve:
- Cunha is is the second confirmed Team Pelfrey entry and seventh confirmed full-time Pro Mazda presented by Cooper Tire driver for the 2017 season, joining Sting Ray Robb (World Speed Motorsports), TJ Fischer (Team Pelfrey), Max Hanratty (Leading Edge Grand Prix), Bobby Eberle (World Speed Motorsports), Charles Finelli (Fat Boy Racing), and Brandon Puderbach, (Fat Boy Racing).
- Cunha has finished in the top five in the competitive Brazilian Formula 3 series the past two seasons. The 16 round, eight event series utilizes the previous generation F3 car, the 2.3L Berta powered Dallara F309.
- Don’t be surprised to see the 17-year old contend for wins at some point this season, as Brazilian Formula 3 has a history of producing some very successful drivers.
- TSO is hearing that the Pro Mazda presented by Cooper Tire grid is expected to be in double digits (or at least very close) at the first event on the streets of St. Petersburg.
- You can follow Cunha on the following social media platforms: Twitter – Instagram – Facebook