Fischer Rejoins Team Pelfrey for a Full Season in Pro Mazda
INDIANAPOLIS, IND. (January 10, 2017) – Team Pelfrey is delighted to confirm that TJ Fischer has re-signed with the team for the 2017 season in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires.
“It is with great excitement that we welcome TJ back to Team Pelfrey. Not only is he great to have around, but the progress he made after the switch to Pro Mazda mid-season last year, in addition to winter testing, is extremely encouraging,” said Team Pelfrey’s General Manager, Jonathan Baker. “I am looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in what will be an exciting year for the Pro Mazda Championship.”
Fischer, 23, received a taste of some of the toughest competition in the Mazda Road to Indy series as he made a calculated transition from the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda ranks to Pro Mazda where he participated in four races, recording one-top five finish and continuously reducing the delta to his race and championship winning teammates.
“I’m excited to be returning with the Team Pelfrey squad in the Pro Mazda Championship,” said the Vacaville, Calif. native. “It’s clear, they have won the past two Pro Mazda titles, and the demeanor within the team shows why they’ve been so successful. Last year, I got a taste of what racing in the Pro Mazda Championship was like and now I am able to learn from the 2016 season and apply it to a full proper year,” said Fischer.
As the season is quickly approaching, Fischer is focused on pre-season training as well as participating in outreach programs with nationwide organizations to increase awareness on his Project O2 initiative. The O2 campaign, created by Fischer, was designed to inform, inspire, and innovate a new path to asthma awareness.
“I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid and have lived through 23 years of sporting, dealing with the difficulties asthma presents. In 2015, I had an asthma attack during a race at the 74th GP de Pau, forcing me to rethink my asthma condition and how to deal with it,” said Fischer. “From that experience, I created Project O2. It’s exciting to be able to try and make a difference and I hope Project O2 can become a beacon for all those who are pursing sports, dreams in their lives, and dealing with asthma along the way.”
TSO Ladder Notes from Steve:
- Fischer is is the second confirmed Pro Mazda presented by Cooper Tire driver for the 2017 season, joining Sting Ray Robb (World Speed Motorsports).
- Fisher, who is originally from Wilsonville, Oregon, was a scholarship wide receiver at Pacific Lutheran University where the 23 year-old studied engineering.
- Fisher hosts his own podcast. You can find the “I Hate Racing Radio” episodes on iTunes or here –> I Hate Racing Radio
- Team Pelfrey, who just recently moved their operations to Indianapolis, Indiana, made their Pro Mazda presented by Cooper Tire debut in 2011, and over the past six seasons the team has amassed 29 wins and three championships (2016 – Aaron Telitz — 2015 – Santiago Urrutia — 2012 – Jack Hawksworth).
- You can follow Fischer on the following social media platforms: Twitter – Instagram – Facebook