Andretti Autosport has announced that Frenchman Nico Jamin will join the team’s Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires roster for the 2017 season. The Mazda Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires standout will pilot the No. 27 Mazda for the schedule’s 16 races alongside Canadian Indy Lights sophomore Dalton Kellett.
“We are really pleased to welcome Nico to our Indy Lights team,” said team owner Michael Andretti. “His progress in the MRTI system has been promising so far and he was impressive in recent testing. We’re looking forward to a competitive season for Nico and the No. 27 team.”
Jamin collected two wins, six podiums and one pole position over the 2016 Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires season, earning him third place in the drivers’ championship. In addition to his Pro Mazda statistics, the 20-year-old claimed 10 wins, 12 pole positions and 15 podiums on his route to earning the 2015 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda.
“I am delighted to announce that I will be driving in Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires for Andretti Autosport in 2017.” Jamin said, “I remember my first USF2000 race back in 2014, walking by Mario Andretti in the paddock and I asked him to take a picture with me. That day, I was far to think that I was going to drive for a team owned by his son, Michael, a few years later. This is a dream come true and I thank everyone who made it possible – my family, partners, the whole Andretti team and fellow Frenchman, J-F Thormann. We have had extremely positive test days already and I am very much looking forward to seeing the first green flag of the season wave at St. Petersburg.”
Jamin tested for Andretti Autosport at the Chris Griffiths Test held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in early October where the 20-year-old ended the weekend second-fastest overall. The Mazda Road to Indy veteran’s progression to the final step of the INDYCAR ladder, places him one step closer to achieving his Verizon IndyCar Series aspirations.
The 2017 Indy Lights campaign kicks off on the streets of St. Petersburg with Rounds 1 and 2 of competition starting March 10.
TSO Ladder Notes from Steve:
- Jamin is the second Nico, second Andretti Autosport pilot and fourth over-all confirmed driver for the 2017 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tire season, joining: Dalton Kellett (Andretti Autosport), Shelby Blackstock (Belardi Auto Racing) and Nicolas Dapero (Juncos Racing)
- Jamin, who turns 21 on December 5th, has 12 wins, 14 poles and 22 podiums across 46 Mazda Road To Indy presented by Cooper Tire starts in USF2000 and Pro Mazda.
- Jamin, the 2015 Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda champion who is always smiling, has really embraced the American open-wheel scene since moving to the USA after beginning his career in the French F4 and Formula Renault 2.0 Championships.
- Jamin, who hails from Rouen, France, will be attempting to become the third Indy Lights Champion from France, following in the footsteps of J.K. Vernay (2010) and Tristan Vautier (2012).
- Jamin recently signed on with new management, and will be working with Rick Gorne (who also manages fellow Frenchman Simon Pagenaud).
- Jamin has been impressive in testing so far and has been working with two-time Indy Lights championship winning engineer (Cunningham and Newgarden) Doug Zister.
- You can follow Jamin on the following social media platforms: Twitter – Instagram – Facebook